As I mentioned a while ago, we’re planning a day to get some folks together in the Four Square Gospel Church’s kitchen to can tomatoes. The wonderful Nicole Narbonne and Will Langlands are going to be the chefs de cuisine for the day, since they are old hands at canning tomatoes.
The purpose is partly to learn how to safely can tomatoes, but also to do it together, have fun, and really blast through a lot of tomatoes for winter storage.
Details are being worked out, but it goes something like this:
- We get going in the morning, around 9:00 or so;
- We work together to can as many quarts of tomatoes as we can do, all working together;
- Everyone pays equally for a share of the final product (payment covers cost of ingredients: tomatoes, salt, lemon juice);
- Will & Nicole get some kind of extra share or payment for their time and expertise;
- The Four Square Gospel Church also gets a share of the final product as payment for the use of their kitchen;
- Everyone who participates gets to go home with their share: we’re hoping that this share will be at least a dozen quarts, but that depends on tomatoes, time, equipment, etc.
If you would like to participate, please reply to us as soon as you can (email: firstname.lastname@example.org ). If there are more participants than we can accommodate, we will choose by lottery (fair & square). If there is a lot of interest, we might try to schedule another similar canning bash before the good tomatoes disappear.
We’re hoping that participants can help us get enough jars, lids, funnels, canners, cutting boards, knives, and so on. Stay tuned for more info about that.
If you know of a reliable local source of good canning-type tomatoes, please let us know right away!! Thanks.