Home Tanning Workshop: Part 2
(Click here for the lovely poster 262kB pdf)
With Hana Turtle Granny and Jacqueline Huddleston
For hunters, homesteaders, craftsmen, seamstresses and those with a serious intent to learn the basics of home tanning leathers and furs
This second workshop will focus on the techniques used to “break” the tanned hide. We will also introduce you to working with larger hides, including: deer, goat and sheep. If you missed the first workshop “green” hides (untanned) will be available to practice fleshing, with instruction.
- What: Part 2 of a 3 workshop series on tanning local hides
- When: Saturday July 28th 2012
- Where: 5905 Fraser Street, Powell River BC
- Time: 11:00AM to 3:00PM
- Fee: Free of charge*
(*donations to Skookum always graciously accepted)
We recommend: Tan Your Hide, by Phyllis Hobson (IBSN # 0-88266-101-9) if you want to preview some of the techniques we will be using.
Important: Bring your own tanning kit including:
- 2 old towels
- Rubber gloves and apron
- 1 pair of utility scissors
- 1 skinning or fleshing knife or other tool i.e.
- spoon, shell or something with a rounded edge
- 1 piece of plywood 3/4 ” thick 2 X 2
- Your tanned rabbit hide from workshop 1 (if you attended this)
- Participants should also bring lunch and a thermos
To register please email email@example.com or call 604 483-9902!