We envision Skookum as an incubator of interesting projects which all help our members and others become more self-reliant in food production, processing, and preservation. The directors are always on the lookout for new projects to bring our members together to share tools, resources, skills, knowledge, time, and/or labour.
You can read about our past projects here.
If you have a good idea for a project you’d like to work on with other people, let us know. Here are some of the possible projects that our members have suggested so far:
- bulk buying of mushroom spores and a work party to inoculate logs with spores for small-scale mushroom growing;
- a community bookshelf of resources on food production, etc.
- a lending library of tools;
- a project to build sell sub-irrigated containers for growing tomatoes and other plants in small spaces;
- bulk ordering of fruit trees, especially less common varieties;
- bulk orders of local meat;
- annual bulk order of seeds, especially heirloom varieties worth saving;
- joint ownership of dehydrators, solar and otherwise;
- community composting;
- bulk purchase of hay;
- bulk purchase of fertilizers and other amendments;
- broadleaf maple syrup.