Skookum Food Provisioners’ Cooperative has Tatter Canning Lids and Rubber Rings for sale to members only.
LIQUIDATION SALE : TUESDAY MAY 5, 2015 AT 6-8PM UNITED CHURCH TRINITY HALL (ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING)
Members ONLY special 2015 AGM pricing is 50% off original pricing (which was roughly 50% of retail pricing!)
- Our prices cannot be beaten– do some research and see for yourself.
- 50 wide lids and rubber rings ….. $40 each (NOW $20!)
- 50 regular lids and rubber rings ….. $35 each (NOW $18!)
- 24 regular lids and rubber rings …. $17 each (NOW $9!)
- 24 wide mouth lids and rubber rings.. $20 each (NOW $10)
- Regular/Wide Mouth rubber gasket/rings 0.20 each (NOW 0.10 each!)
We do not have the metal screw-on lids, which you will need to be able to can as well, You may already have these; otherwise you can buy them anywhere in town. Garage sales are great for finding these metal screw-on lids, cheap and easy.
Why Can Food?
- Canning food preserves the local and/or in-season harvest;
- It reduces chemical use in preserved foods as opposed to commercially preserved foods;
- It costs less than buying preserved foods or fresh food out of season (and non-local);
- Allows you to choose how sweet/spicy/salty your preserved food is;
- Opens up the array of possibilities : you can preserve many, many more products than you can find in a grocery store;
- Canning is eco-friendly, as you are reusing materials each year, like canning rings and Tattler lids, etc.
- Canning helps you stock up and be more food secure;
- It tastes fresh and great, and since you date the jars, you know exactly how old the food you’re eating is!
Why Use Tattler Lids, and why buy them from Skookum?
BPA Free! Made in the USA Indefinitely Reusable For Hot Water Bath and Pressure Canning No food spoilage due to acid corrosion FDA approved materials Dishwasher Safe
- Tattler lids are reusable up to and beyond 20 times over (those rubber-coated lids we usually use are only recommended for single use; the rubber rings used with Tattler are reusable up to 10 or so times– you can buy they separately from Skookum as well)
- They are therefore cheaper to use in the long run
- Unlike most canned foods (in metal cans, and those in jars or in plastic most of which contain the chemical Bisphenol-A), Tattler lids do not contain Bisphenol-A (BPA), a very controversial chemical used in plastics industry and banned by some countries using these on baby products. See Tattler FAQ re: BPA
- Unlike single-use lids, Tattler lids are recyclable (they contain only one material: BPA-free plastic, and as such can be recycled)
- Tattler lids are also excellent for canning high-acid foods that can corrode through to metal lids and throw the flavours off.
- Tattler lids are different from conventional canning lids and follow a different procedure for canning. There are instructions on their website and included on paper with each purchase of lids you make from Skookum. Failure to follow their specifications may lead to troubles using the lids
- Here is a handy list of canning temperatures. It is NOT recommended to use Tattler lids for pressure canning above 460 Degrees F or 238 C (pressure canning meat or non-acidic foods is supposed to reach only 240-250 F or 121C– see chart linked above).
- Types of food: All types of food except foods containing 15% or more alcohol.
Conditions of Use: Use temperature not to exceed 250 deg F
- Tattler lids can be used for dry food storage as well!
You can buy Tattler lids via Skookum for the best price possible (about half of what you’d pay via Amazon.ca, for example… and no shipping costs! See for yourself here). More information on the lids at the company’s website: http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/
Our prices are as follows; to order, use our contact page and tell us what you’d like, then you can pick them up by arrangement from our Westview neighbourhood location (sorry, we cannot ship the lids, and this is for members only– you can become a member here for just $20 for a lifetime membership).
Remember also that 15% of your purchase price goes to fund Skookum projects, too! It’s a win-win-win situation: you get to buy a product that is not widely available in Canada, you’re encouraged to can local and in-season food, you get to help Skookum fund projects, and you save c. 45% off what you would normally have to pay for the lids!